Monday, March 03, 2008

But though there were different names for God in all the different languages in the world and God understood what all the people who prayed said in their different languages still God remained always the same God and God's real name was God.
From A Portrait of the Artist as A Young Man by James Joyce

I wanted to pray. To God. And I can’t remember the last time I did. Just pray.

A and S were waiting for me at One Step Up but I asked the cabbie to take the right from Flury’s and stop right in front of school. My school. Even in the dark I could see the familiar maroon steeple. I think it’s St John’s. Could very well be St Thomas’. Just that it’s always been the "school church”.

The black iron gate sulked gloomily.
“Saare chhai bajey bandh ho jaata hai, madam.” Damn!

So I walked up Middleton Row, back to Park Street. Feeling stupid. And very irritated. Where does one go if one needs to pray at nine in the evening? What if one doesn’t want to stand in the middle of the Maidan and pray? What if one doesn’t wish to close one’s eyes in the kitchen and think of God?

I guess one just drops in at Oly or Someplace Else.
I mean, it worked.

5 Comments:

Blogger Dip Narayan said...

And nobody can deny that OLy Pub and Someplace Else are spiritual to the dregs.

But, why? Why would you want to pray? And pray for what? Answer these and make this blog truly informative.

And Joyce, eh? Right after Jonson, in a neat alphabetical order. How meticulous!

7:05 PM  
Blogger asrek said...

Next quote, Kramer? or Krusty the clown?

7:19 PM  
Blogger PriyatRaj said...

I agree with Dipu. It does seem unfinished - almost like a cop out at the end due to acute embarassment...

7:33 PM  
Blogger misti said...

a)This blog isn't supposed to be 'informative'. At least that's not how I see it.
b)The sequence of events - they happened exactly the way I have mentioned. Honest.
c)It is a 'not-very-genuine' post. But I don't remember making any promises to the contrary.

P.S. It all started with the bit from Joyce. And not because Joyce 'neatly' follows Jonson.

8:18 PM  
Blogger Dip Narayan said...

What a tease! Your writing seduces us to read more into the events and then, suddenly, you deny us by blandly stating the fine print. Not fair. And don't point me to the Godard post now.

And I take back my comment on Joyce. That's just the snarky "blog me."

9:43 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home